[NTLK] Geez people, freaking get over it

From: SlashDevNull (slashdevnull_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 01:34:26 EDT

Salutations,

  If you have a problem with .Mac costs, then don't pay. It is that simple.

  You had to tell everyone when you got a Mac email address. So you have to
tell everyone when again.

  Some of you act like Apple is some type of drug dealer or is intentionally
out to screw their users for as much money as possible.

  Basic facts are:

  1) Newton was losing too much money and had _no_ chance of being
profitable in the near future. Apple couldn't afford to keep pumping money
into it.

  2) Email services _do_ cost money. Sure, email messages are small but so
is a paper cut. Now take hundreds of millions (2.2 million users * hundreds
of email messages a day) of paper cuts and tell me how it feels.

  3) If you haven't noticed, many companies are coming to the Mac. Many
more are dropping the Mac. So Apple is creating the applications that will
bring people to the Mac. This costs money.

  4) OS X is perfectly useable and quick. I have a G4 400 running 10.1.5
and I am _very_ pleased with the performance. I am upgrading the video card
for Quartz extreme to a GeForce4 MX 400 with 64megs. It will cost me $44
including shipping.

  5) .Mac will now cost money. ITools used to be free but now it costs
money. Sure it would be nice to stay free, but if you haven't noticed
almost all free services have dropped by the wayside. Apple is also adding
more services to .Mac.

  6) Running Apple costs a fortune. Look at the crappy wintel model.
Intel pays for R&D and gives tons for money to hardware manufacturers. MS
spends tons of money for R&D (and it doesn't show) and they give tons of
money for business using solely ms products. Apple has to fund it's own
hardware AND software development. For all of it's products. And it is now
in the applications business to raise their market share.

  7) Bandwidth _is_ expensive. Apple is not running everything off of a
cable modem in the back. Running a server farm is expensive. Simply
keeping the server farm cool would bankrupt most of us.

  8) For some reason, I just have the feeling that Apple is making very
little profit, if any at all, from each .Mac subscription.

  Apple is spending _tons_ of cash to make the Mac a better product.

  If you don't want to pay the cash to Apple, go run XP. And we'll know.
When you crappy email program spews virus loaded email to everyone you know,
we will all laugh at you.

  Apple is the Mercedes of computing. It will cost more.

  I have subscribed.

  And it is worth every penny.

Cheers,
David