Re: [NTLK] OT Re: Dot-mac overpriced - glee in the lawyers' eyes..

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 00:54:57 EDT

À (At) 0:26 -0400 19/07/02, Rich Lindsay écrivait (wrote) :
>I spent the $$ for .mac
>
>dont wanna change my address

Congratulation. You've been sucked by Apple. I think it's a feeling
we know here.

If you consider the whole process, this is a kind of swindle. You get
something for free, you get accustomed to it and the cost of stopping
using it is high when some day you're told that it's no longer free.
I think it's what drug dealers do to make you take harder products.

The point is to not accept something free that you know could be
paying at some point (or disappear) without being careful. In the
case of e-mail addresses, it's much better to get a screen address
than to rely on your ISP (I guess this is why mac.com users open
their account at first). And for a screen address, Apple is
definitely more expensive than anything else (e.g. Gandi provides up
to 5 redirections on a single domain name that costs 12 Euros per
year).

Anyway, I have the feeling with the cost of Jaguar update and .mac
that Apple is trying to make a lot of money out of the original user
base without really innovating for that. This makes many users very
angry.

I actually do understand that Jaguar isn't free unlike MacOS X beta
and MacOS 10.0.4/10.1.5 which aren't really usable because they're
definitely unreactive -- try typing in CodeWarrior 6, it feels like
someone is telegraphing what you type to the other side of the world
-- and don't tell me it's the processor, I have a G4_at_350 now, thanks
Kyle :)
But MacOS X users often consider they paid too much for that OS,
especially those who bought a new machine to satisfy its need of
power.

A lot of Mac users definitely don't like that. Maybe Apple will save
its results for Q4 thanks to the .mac joke. But I don't think this
will work forever. Just like Apple Garamond.

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/