Re: [NTLK] Please trim your replies (Was Re: Geez people, freaking get over it)

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 16:17:44 EDT

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Jeremy Bond Shepherd wrote:

> Can we please have a little more effort to trim replies? <hal9000x_at_mac.com>
> had something to say which took him one line, but then quoted dozens more.
> Not to pick on him -- this happens far too often on this list. This makes
> it really hard for us reading in Digest mode.

Here, here.

> Until/unless Victor can do something programmatically to reject postings
> with very low quote/new text ratios, could we all please have some courtesy
> for our fellow readers and quote only brief, relevant sections of messages
> we are replying to? I promise to do the same.

Oh, I can. It is in fact on - it's just that the threshold is set very
high, so about the only thing it rejects is entire digests forwarded back
to the list.

I put most of the blame on e-mail clients that quote the entire message
and put your reply before it. This is great for, say, inter-office
e-mail, because then you always have the entire thread in front of you,
and you don't care how much server space it uses. This positively blows
out on the internet, where not everyone is using Outlook, and many people
are on slow connections.

If I could reconfigure everyone's e-mail clients, I would. Even better,
if I could make everyone use Scribe (http://www.memecode.com/scribe.php)
or whatever's good for MacOS... but I can't.

I can play with the list settings, though. Maybe I'll do that on Sunday
night or monday. Any arguments against?