Re: [NTLK] Alternatives to Newton? (Ipaq isnīt!)

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 16:15:19 EDT

I guess it all depends on what it is that is most
important to you! My mom finds that her Hand-era takes
care of here most important needs. My Wife uses a
paper day-timer...Me? I usually can't read my
handwritten notes after I have written them down, so
that doesn't work for me. And because of my own lack
of organization and general flighty-ness, I need
something that is intrinsically intuitive to use and
is basically flawless. Last night I woke up at 3:30am
with a problem I forgot about. Reached out for my newt
in the dark, held the power button for the backlight
and using my fingernail scrawled an indecypherable
message on the notes section of Avi's backdrop. Then
closed the lid and went back to sleep. Woke up in the
morning and couldn't figure out what i had written,
asked the Newt to translate and it figured it out with
little difficulty. That's the kind of PDA I need.
Kinda like a personal assistant! Like that Nurse on
that new program on TV called Monk...The Newt's the
closest I can get to one without haveing to pay
someone!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Hagen Lang <Hagen.Lang_at_t-online.de> wrote:

> Well,
> my feeling that my Newton 2100 was somewhat
> "lacking modern features" and itīs problems with
> exchanging RTFs properly and the connection
> to PIMs tempted me to look around a bit.
> It did change though when I read the unbelieveable
> bug list in
> www.ipaqpetition.com/petition/index.htm.
> I especially like that one: After listing 35 defects
> of the
> Ipaq itself they state that
> "The above lists of issues do not include additional
> issues that are present in the Microsoft PocketPC
> 2000
> and PocketPC 2002 operating systems. There are
> dozens
> of additional issues in the operating systems."
>
> Besides the Newtonīs problems with exchanging RTFs
> properly and the connection to PIMs, there is not
> much
> for me to complain about and these seem to be minor
> issues compared to what Ipaq owners have to suffer
> from.
> Has anyone to make serious proposals for a Newton-
> replacement (ok, might be a rethorical question,
> with the
> answer: No.) ?
>
> Regards
>
> H.Lang

=====
"I believe that viewers who skip television commercials are Thieves who are guilty of Stealing network programming"
 - Jamie Keller CEO/Chairman Turner Broadcasting