Re: [NTLK] Looking for a MoreInfo replacement

From: Greg Spencer (gspencer_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 17:53:05 EDT

I've used MoreInfo for years on a 2000u and 2100 without any problems. Too
bad you can't find a fix for yours. I assume it's still the missing
stationery problem. The only stationery that MI adds is "CardNote" and this
installs with the main program and is then available through the MI icon in
the names app or the New/Note icon in Dates. I think you've probably got a
conflict in there somewhere - not necessarily the fault of MI but an
indicator of what could be a potentially bigger problem. It's possible that
only a complete "brain-wipe" is called for here (which isn't a bad thing to
do every now and then since stuff can get pretty mucked up in there).

First try doing a reset with extensions off which will put your MP in an
almost virgin state. Then activate MI and see what happens. If it does work
as before, then one of the extensions which normally loads at a soft reset
is the cause of your problem. Since this obviously wasn't solved by your
removing all your other packages, you should do a complete brain wipe to
clear the problem once and for all. Here are the instructions I have for
doing a reset with extensions off:
"Reset With Extensions Off - Requiring a little more manual dexterity than a
soft reset, a reset with extensions off allows you to reset your Newton but
not load any packages. Its as if all packages were frozen. This returns the
Newton to an almost virgin state, and is useful if you're having conflicts
between two packages, or when you need to maximize heap for a certain
procedure. With no packages loaded, your Newton will have it's maximum
amount of heap available.

To perform a reset with extensions off, hit the reset button, on the back of
the Newton and then flip the Newton over so the screen is facing you, as for
normal usage. Immediately hold the pen down halfway down the left edge of
the screen, about a centimeter from the casing, down the screen. Keep
holding the pen there, and soon a dialog box will appear asking if you'd
like to activate packages on the store "Internal". Answer "no." If you have
any PC cards installed, return the pen to the left edge and keep holding it
down. You'll then get the same dialog for each card. Answer "no" to each.
Your Newton now is restarted with no packages loaded.

You will NOT lose data doing a reset with extensions off. However, if you
have a third party application as the Backdrop, (such as Backdrop Plus) it
will be replaced with the NotePad, so you'll have to re-designate it as the
Backdrop."

But if you're committed to trying a replacement, unna.org has several pim's
listed at http://www.unna.org/unna/applications/pim/ so have a look there. I
doubt though that you'll find anything quite as powerful or flexible as MI.
And if, as I suspect, the problem is not with MI, you won't correct the
problem just by changing.

Good luck.

Greg