Re: [NTLK] about wireless networks and the newton

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.net)
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 03:24:04 EDT

on 27/07/02 10:53, Dan at dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com wrote:

> I have recently decided to wirelessly network my computers here and I would
> like to be able to include my Newton in that group. Now I would like to
> share the PC card with my Windows 98 laptop and newton. I also want
> encrytption on the wireless network (don't want anyone that also has a
> network to log in to mine by accident),
>
> What cards, and routers do you suggest? I have been looking at the Linksys
> Wireless cable/DSL router and a PC card they also make, will this work?
> This router has 128 bit encryption and nice range, though I am open to other
> suggestions (especially if this won't work with my newton).

Don't know about that wireless router. FYI, I'm using an Apple AirPort Base
Station with a Lucent/Agere ORiNOCO Silver card in my Newton and that seems
to work fine, except that I can't access any AppleTalk services that are
accessed through my LocalTalk-Ethernet router.

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                            <http://members.cox.net/nemesys>
Logiciels Nemesys Software                            mailto:nemesys_at_cox.net

fat-finger vt.: 1. To introduce a typo while editing in such a way that the resulting manglification of a configuration file does something useless, damaging, or wildly unexpected. "NSI fat-fingered their DNS zone file and took half the net down again." 2. More generally, any typo that produces dramatically bad results.