Re: [NTLK] [ANN] ATA Support 1.0b13

From: Dale Steele (dtsteele_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 23:59:44 EDT

I wasn't going to say anything on this rather disgusting discussion
but I will anyway. Paul has done some amazing things for us newton
users over the last few years and all on a very small student budget.
Most of his effort and products have been free too. He has taken time
on a number of occasions to help me set things up for my NPDS server
(http://rufa.dyndns.org) (that is still the most amazing feature of a
newton to me, and it came well after Apple gave up on it). With the
ATA driver, he seems to have put hundreds of hours solving a problem
that I suspect few could have without considerable support. Paul
explained his plans to charge for this driver when it got beyond
alpha stages.

I see this as a market question. I haven't made my mind up as to
whether I will buy the driver or not but I STRONGLY support him being
able to charge what he thinks it's worth. I trust him on this and he
has earned that over the last few years. I don't expect him to make
that much money on the ATA driver but I do think people who buy it
can appreciate why it wasn't a freebie.

I'd like to see us drop this discussion and see it as something that
should have never come up. The complaints have sounded a lot like
jealousy, unfortunately, great efforts tend to draw that kind of
attention.....

Dale
p.s. Paul, I think you can tell you have a lot of support and
appreciation in this user group!