Re: [NTLK] [ANN] ATA Support 1.0b13

From: Joshua Johnston (flagg_at_midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 00:59:01 EDT

I said two lines, simply saying "Ow, that's expensive" and got jumped
on. What's going on, fanaticism or discussion?

I'm not jealous, bitter, or anything of the sort. And I'm just going to
post this last set of thoughts, then I'm done. I don't like being
ganged up on, and this is going to end it.

I think Paul would make more money at $20-25 than he would at $50, and
here's why:

Currently, Pricewatch (http://www.pricewatch.com) has new Linear Flash
cards at a 32M size available for $52. (Search all categories for
'Linear') Pricewatch also lists 32M ATA at the same price, $52. They
list 'Compact 32MB' starting at $22 - all prices include estimated
shipping in the continental US. Interestingly, larger ATA sizes are
less expensive than the 32M card (apparently the 32M card is a true
PCMCIA card rather than CompactFlash) and for $70 you can get a 128M
card.

However, once you get the software, the PCMCIA adapter and the card,
you've spent $130. Enough for 64M of natively supported linear flash,
new. Not eBay. You're using two slots and only have half the memory,
but I hear the speed isn't as good with the ATA. That'll make a big
difference if you're dealing with large data sets that the ATA driver
would be useful for.

This might be acceptable to some people. If you have $130 kicking
around. Now, if you're trying to work within any sort of a budget (like
many students), you need to look at what the lowest possible break even
point is. With a $50 ATA driver, you're looking to break even pricewise
for no less than $100 assuming the Pricewatch list price of $50 for a
64M ATA card. And this doesn't count the cost of the PCMCIA adapter.
That's four dollars less than two linear flash cards. Now, if you cut
the cost of the ATA driver down to $25, you can actually save $25 and
get the same amount of storage.

That makes the driver useful to a whole new range of user. It stays
just as useful to the power user, and actually puts it within the price
range you'd likely find for most mid-range users. Me, I'm a low-middle
range user. I'll probably just use one 32M card for the entire time I
have my Newton. In the future, who knows? Maybe more storage would be
nice. But I think as its priced now, Paul's cutting off the usefulness
to a large number of users that he could very well be serving, and
making more money on the product in the first place. It doesn't look
like good business when you do the numbers. It doesn't come across as
altruistic, and if that's your intention, Paul, you might want to look
at these numbers too. I think a $25/50 price range would get a lot more
money in the long and short term, and also come across as a nicer thing
to do for Newton owners. Do the math.

Don't blame me for pointing out that in a business sense, this pricing
doesn't make any fiscal sense. If you're all willing to overpay, just
send him donations instead and maybe help encourage him to lower the
price for people who can't. A week ago, if I'd been working and would
have been able to read/write a card on my PC for faster transfer to the
Newton, I'd have sent Paul $20 as a donation, no strings, nothing. But
now, I just find myself jaded. Not jealous, but jaded. Because I felt
like a really good chance for the community to come together has turned
sour. To most of you, it may look like it's just me that's sore over
this, and maybe I am. It doesn't make me less right.