Re: [NTLK] [ANN] ATA Support 1.0b13

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.net)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 00:39:22 EDT

on 28/07/02 17:33, Paul Guyot at paul_at_kallisys.net wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Joshua Johnston wrote:
>=20
>> Unfortunately, it looks like Paul is going for the die-hard
>> pay-any-price type, instead of really contributing to the Newton
>> community.
>=20
> I'm not sure I entirely understand what you mean here. I haven't charged =
> penny for anything I've done for the community until now. You can't charg=
> me of trying to make money out of it. If you really want to know what
> motivates me to charge for it is that I hope it will help me afford a new
> computer, preferably a fast laptop, to type my PhD thesis on. I don't own
> any computer myself but Newtons.
>=20
>> As was earlier mentioned, the price parity point between linear flash
>> and ATA flash is the 128M storage point. How many Newton users have the
>> desire to keep over 32M of storage, let alone 64 or 128+? At $10 or
>> even $25, I'd consider getting the driver as a way to support the
>> community even if I didn't need it. At $50, that's just gouging.
>=20
> I entirely agree with you Joshua. The 50 Euros price was decided when it
> was the parity point for a 8 MB card (and the 4 MB demo was decided
> according to this very parity). Since, I've noticed that this parity was
> rather at 4 MB.
> Where I disagree with you is that the parity is 128 MB. You're comparing
> linear cards on eBay with brand new ATA cards. It's your problem, but
> buying a card on eBay brings a big risk. These cards are used and NewtonO=
> doesn't handle used card well at all. At latest NUG in Paris, some user
> had a card that died. It has been giving errors for some point and it was
> finally completely dead. I think that the owner thought it was new when
> he bought it few weeks ago.
> I still think that a brand new linear cards of 4 or 8 MB costs more than
> an ATA card of the same capacity plus my driver.
>=20
> And you get the ability to use several cards. Registered user will get a
> free upgrade for the two most wanted next features, support of FAT
> filesystems and backups, the first one being impossible with the linear
> cards.
>=20
> I've always thought and I'm still thinking that 50 Euros is fair not
> concerning the work I've put on it (think that I've started this
> project 2 years ago), but the usefulness. I'm ready to discuss this with
> you. This new release corrects speed issues, except for smart media cards
> it seems. I'm spending all my efforts making your data as secure as
> possible while there are bugs on linear store drivers.
>=20
> Now, nobody will force you to buy this driver. Many people don't need mor=
> storage than what they actually have.
>=20
> [...]

Paul,

Je pense que tu es totalement dans ton droit de demander le prix que tu veu=
pour ton pilote. Je ne comprends pas ces r=E9actions, apr=E8s tout ce que tu as
fait pour la communaut=E9.

Ne prends pas la peine de perdre ton temps =E0 r=E9pondre =E0 ce genre de message=
.
Ton temps est trop pr=E9cieux pour =E7a!

English:

I'm telling Paul that he has the right to charge whatever he feels is
appropriate for his driver. He's done a lot for the community. In fact, I
don't know anybody that has done more than what Paul has contributed. Give
him some slack, would you?

-Laurent.
--=20
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D
Laurent Daudelin <http://members.cox.net/nemesys=

Logiciels Nemesys Software mailto:nemesys_at_cox.ne=

careware /keir'weir/ n.: A variety of shareware for which either the author
suggests that some payment be made to a nominated charity or a levy directe=
to charity is included on top of the distribution charge. Syn. charityware;
compare crippleware, sense 2.=20