Re: [NTLK] [ANN] ATA Support 1.0b13

From: Keith E. McComb (kinsfire_at_kinsfire.net)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 12:29:44 EDT

At 07:55 PM 7/28/2002, you wrote:

>Yes, I did think this through before posting. I see, from what has been
>posted to the list, that very few people are actually purchasing the ATA
>driver because they need it, but solely to pay Paul for his efforts.
>That's fine, really. He deserves to get something for the effort.

>I just can't see it as altruistic in the slightest. He knows you'll all
>pay for it whether you need it or not, and he's milking you all for what
>he can get. This is a problem with any fanatic user base. The laws of
>supply/demand/need don't apply. I'm just sorry to see that greed does.
>
>It's a shame, because as I said, it could have become ubiquitous, a true
>testament to community spirit, but now it won't. I honestly don't care
>whether Paul is discouraged or not, though it's quite clear from the
>reaction here that his ego's gotten quite the boost from this. He's
>getting people pledging to send him money. One voice standing out from
>the crowd shouldn't harm any but the most fragile ego.
>
>If you'll all pay him $50-75, good luck to you. Good luck to him, it's
>just sad to see a great program turn into a luxury item. Let's just hope
>that Hiroshi doesn't take the lead and jack up his price for the WLAN
>driver since it'll be proven that people will pay anything.

I finally realized this for what it is - trolling. You work under the
assumption that everyone on the planet is going wireless. Guess what? I
have a number of CF cards at home, though, that I'd love to find a use for
- anywhere from 8 MB to 128 MB. Now, Paul has a driver that I can use, and
I don't have to go out and buy a wireless router/gateway for my connection
at home.

Besides, maybe I'm just being stupid here, but how does being wireless on
the Newton give you extra storage space? Is it that you can wirelessly
connect to a separate storage site you have somewhere? Even so, I doubt
you can connect and run the program from that storage site. (I have no
idea - I'm not yet going wireless with my Newton, so I see no reason to
explore the option.)

Am I going to support Paul in his efforts? Yes. Am I doing it because
Paul put so much work into the driver? Yes. Am I doing only for that
reason? No. I actually have a use for it.

Stop complaining when someone charges a price you don't like. Either that,
or write your own damned program that does the same thing, and charge less
for it. But if you can't program, then don't even think about complaining
about it, because you have absolutely ZERO idea what goes into making a
program available.

Keith McComb

Would somebody PLEASE reboot the clue server?