Re: [NTLK] I'm done with the ATA thre.

From: Joshua Johnston (flagg_at_midmaine.com)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 02:05:50 EDT

>Hi Josh. Good Morrow to ya.
>Just end this 'respectfully'.

Questions.

Why do you put 'quotes' around words? Are you trying to make the
mistaken 'implication' that I said things you're 'saying' I intended to
state? That's the typical use of quotes, other markers substitute for
emphasis.

Why did you post five messages in response to my two? Are you not
capable of reading and retaining a whole two emails before replying?
Gee, and I thought I was the one with Attention Deficit Disorder around
here.

>>I never said I wanted a 'free ride'. In fact, I repeatedly said if
the
>>price were lower, I'd consider paying even though I really didn't need
it.

>Then 'wait' till then. This wasn't the best time 'to teach' Paul. In
>your posts you included yourself to get the ATA 'after' others had paid
>for it. Not nice.

Pricing had just been announced. That's the best time to say anything
about the price of anything. After others paid? Do you mean after
others paid $50 and I only wanted to pay $25? I never said or intended
that. As far as I can see, nobody's paid anything for it yet. I was
hoping that possibly the price could be lower for -everyone-, but since
Paul will not accept donations, I suppose he does have to charge $50 to
everyone in order to get any payback.

>Check the archives, the desire for the ATA has been around longer than
you
>have been on this list. Be respectful.

I'll be respectful when people deserve it, and I did try and be
respectful. I agree Paul can set any price he wants. I respect that.
I don't respect your rather sad efforts at prolonging this issue.
You're being very childish. Whether or not the ATA issue has been
around longer than I have in no way lessens my contribution when it
comes down to actual fact.

>>Was I a used car salesman? Huh?

>Your tactics are the same.

Buh? There's no relation. I used arguments based on a very
straightforward, and admittedly amateur "market analysis". I thought
about it, decided I thought Paul could make more money by charging less,
as he'd probably more than double his sales by charging $25 instead of
$50. He disagrees, that's fine. I still think I'm right, though.

>>Wound up paying $5750 for a car with $6995 on the window, because the
>>recognized blue book value was $6000 and the lot was desperate to get
rid
>>of it (Mazda sedans don't sell well in CA).

>Not bad price, 323 or Protege?

Used '91 Mazda 929S in excellent shape. Not a single problem other than
a rusted out muffler in three years and the 50K miles I've put on the
total 176K.

>>"I like Paul", in which case I think people should just send Paul the
>>money,

>..just because 'you' say so.

It's an opinion. I'm entitled to it. And how about some context? I
thought it would be a good idea to support Paul that way. He disagrees,
fine.

>>I've been accused of a lot of things relating to my knowledge of
sales.
>>I spent most of my childhood in one of the most active and flexible
>>buying and selling environments known to man. Not the stock market,
but
>>the flea market.

>It shows you've been accused, look at your defensive responses with the
>spin back to intended target ...and this is not a flea market.

Nope, it isn't. But I see a very similar supply/demand/volume paradigm.
The guy selling little pinwheels with blinking lights on them knows that
only a few children will want them, and that they're a one-of-a-kind
item but he can't charge $5 for it. So he charges $2.50 and sells 10 a
day instead of 4. Very similar paradigm.

>I've done stuff at flea markets, it's a 'cut-throat' business, if you
have
>the stomach for it then more power to ya. Usually you get better deals
if
>you hassle the seller.

Your comment about hassling being effective aside, I wasn't trying to
"hassle" Paul. Had I not been repeatedly told off for even -daring- to
speak up "against" a developer, the whole thing would have ended with
two lines. People seemed to think my opinion was anti-developer, when
in fact it was exactly the opposite. I sincerely doubt that people can
disagree that Paul could indeed make more money at $25 instead of $50 by
having a larger market. The example given earlier at $10 was an
extreme. I'd say $25, myself.

>>When I said it was "two lines" that I said which started this whole
>>thing, I was right. I said two lines, and got jumped on repeatedly so
>>posted further explanations.

>Look at your 'outbox' and your 'explanations' were also as selfish as
your
>original whining.

How was I selfish? In that I'd rather have food for a week rather than
spend $50 on a driver I won't use in order to support a developer I
don't know?

>>This should be a lesson to you, Woo.

>This should be a lesson to you, Josh.

... Never expect you to take a hint? And try quoting with a little more
context. It really does lend credibility to your replies.

>>Read the whole list of messages before replying to them one at a time.

>Read the whole history of a thread before replying. The answers are
>already there.

What answers am I seeking, o' enlightened mail flooder? I'm not aware
that I asked any question other than "Who actually needs this much
storage?" I got one reply. Maybe two. It's too late in the evening to
underwhelming.

>>I didn't spend more than 10 seconds skimming each one. If you're going
>>get into a flamewar, at least know how to do it right. ;)

>If you read my replies you would understand why you are wrong and have
>misplaced animosity toward a developer.

Okay, I'll place it at you then, happy? So I'm unhappy to see something
like this become a case of "haves and have nots" in the Newton
community. So what? Paul's explained his side of it, I've explained
mine, and you've just not let it -die-. I'm not wrong, I just disagree
with most of you. There is no "right or wrong" here, on either side,
because it's all about opinions. Mine's different from yours, and that's
just -fine-.

>Flamewar??? I'm not the cause of your problem, your money troubles are
>all your own, get over it.

Five of six of your messages delivered between my own posts were
somewhat immature. And what does a flamewar have to do with my money
situation? I'd say nothing, but who am I to know, other than the person
who knows my money situation best.

>!ooW %-)
>Pres. of Los Angeles Newton Users Group!
>lanug2000_at_yahoo.com
>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lanug2000

Joshua G. Johnston
Minister of Information Accuracy