Re: [NTLK] [ot] convincing arg against MS OS

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 09:29:11 EDT

I try to stay out of 'religious wars' like this, but...

on 6/7/02 12:35 AM, Ed Kummel at tech_ed_at_yahoo.com wrote:

>> 3) Choice. None of the applications that come with
>> my computer/OS are
>> tied to the OS. I can drag the icon to the trash,
>> and use any program I
>> want.
> Sure, dragging the icon to the trash is easy...any OS
> can do it (with a GUI), but if you don't properly
> uninstall an applicaiton on a Mac, you run the risk of
> corrupting preferences. I suggest that you use an
> uninstaller if you want to remove applications from
> any OS!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Hee Hee Hee!! ROTFL!!!!!!

This has got to be the funniest thing I've heard in a while. I'm not sure
how you could arrive at that conclusion. By what mechanism could this
possibly happen? In OS9 & earlier, the worst that could happen is that,
after deleting an app, its preference file will still be taking up a bit of
disk space, but it just sits there, inert, like any other file. OS X is
*potentially* a bit more complicated, but for the most part, since the app's
icon is really a folder containing all the ancilliary files, dragging its
icon to the trash generally does the job. If something has been added to
one of your .*rc files or if something you've deleted is being invoked at
startup as a daemon, then you may get some sort of error, but that's not the
same thing as a file getting corrupted.

> Ed
> web/gadget guru
>
> =====
> "I believe that viewers who skip television commercials are Thieves who are
> guilty of Stealing network programming"
> - Jamie Keller CEO/Chairman Turner Broadcasting

- Eric.