[NTLK] Data from dead Newton

From: Jill Barrett (jill_at_vapidthumbtack.com)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 18:11:34 EDT

I have a small problem. My MP2000U died several weeks ago. I've tried the
severe reset steps
 - holding down power switch and reset button, answering 'no'
 - powering off for many days and then attempting restart

And I get this: the screen flashes dark, then the 'Do you want to erase all
data permanently? Y/N' screen comes up. After I tell it No, it clears the
screen and _nothing else happens_. After this, I can turn the backlight on and
off, but it's under a blank screen.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Barring that, is there a way I can get the
data off my newton's internal store and move it to another Newton? Is there
someone I can send my poor, dead, Newton?

I've tried other PDA's but I don't like them after using a Newton for over seven
years. I have a 'spare' MP2K; but some of the critical data is on my internal
store rather than on a card, and my NBU/ NCU capability broke long ago as far as
making a full backup goes.

Speaking of which, is there a good software package (for either Mac or Win, I
have access to both) for backing up the Newtons?

 - Jill

jill s. barrett - jill_at_vapidthumbtack.com
http://www.vapidthumbtack.com/
veni vidi aspersi nymphae palveram