Re: [NTLK] OT: NT Tab completion (was Re:The OQO should have been the new Newton?)

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.net)
Date: Sat Jun 08 2002 - 01:12:22 EDT

on 07/06/02 12:31, Sunder at sunder_at_sunder.net wrote:

> The tabkey completion works very well and at all times under NT 4, Win2K,
> and possibly XP. Don't know about 9x,ME and don't care.
>

> Copy the following into notepad
>
> ---->8 cut below this line here 8<-----
> REGEDIT4
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor]
> "CompletionChar"=dword:00000009
>
> ---->8 cut above this line 8<-----
>
> (Save it as "tab completion.reg" - you might have to change your views to
> unhide extensions as notepad will name this "tab
> completion.reg.txt" unless you change the file type to "* All files" when
> doing "Save As")

I've mocked before the NT registry on my NT box, and I wouldn't suggest to
anybody to do it, unless you're very familiar with it. As much as I would
like to have tab completion when I'm forced to use my NT box at work, I'm
not planning to play around the registry.

Just my $0.02...

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                            <http://members.cox.net/nemesys>
Logiciels Nemesys Software                            mailto:nemesys_at_cox.net

bozotic /boh-zoh'tik/ or /boh-zo'tik/ adj.: [from the name of a TV clown even more losing than Ronald McDonald] Resembling or having the quality of a bozo; that is, clownish, ludicrously wrong, unintentionally humorous. Compare wonky, demented. Note that the noun `bozo' occurs in slang, but the mainstream adjectival form would be `bozo-like' or (in New England) `bozoish'.