Re: [NTLK] Greek Fonts 'n Unicode

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 01:44:27 EDT

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 11:09:10 -0400
From: Sean Luke <sean_at_cs.gmu.edu>

I didn't explain what Unicode is because I knew Sean couldn't resist
and I don't have his talent.

Nevertheless, I would like to stress one thing:

>Eventually the international community decided to fix this with a large
>character set called Unicode. Unicode has a big enough number range
>(0...65535) to store most glyphs of most languages around the world.

First, I think that Unicode makes a difference between glyphs and
characters, this is what John Jenkins' article is about.
Also, they first allocated 2 bytes per character. It is at this time
that NewtonOS was written. Then, they realized that 2 bytes weren't
enough and they created surrogates. Since it's older than this new
standard, NewtonOS of course doesn't handle them (it does UCS-2
instead of UTF-16).

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/