Re: [NTLK] Newt as 802.11 AP (was: WaveLAN Driver 1.0)

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 17:30:32 EDT

From: "victor_at_newtontalk.net" <victor_at_newtontalk.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 15:55:15 -0400

>If you wrote a piece of software that took the endpoints connected to the
>WaveLAN and Ethernet and tied them together, then in theory it could. But
>I don't believe NIE 2 can do this out of the box. And the endpoints would
>most likely have to be written in C++ for speed.

I think that there is a problem somewhere in NIE because it doesn't
let you have two active links at the same time, and here, you will
need two.

However, the layer under NIE that handles ethernet (Lantern) very
probably can handle more than two cards at the same time (even if
they have the same driver). So it would just be about telling both
cards to work together.
Or just talk to one card and have the other one behave as your main
NIE interface.

This isn't at all an impossible programming task. Everything is
documented in the Lantern APIs doc.

Just like sending WOL or Pings (although sending Pings or WOL is much easier).

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/