Re: [NTLK] Re[2]: Re[2]: Convincing argument against MS

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 12:22:11 EDT

On 11/06/02 12:02, "Bradford Schmidt" <brad_at_bradfordschmidt.com> wrote:

> Tuesday, June 11, 2002, 11:30:41 AM, Laurent wrote:
>

>>> Exactly - just read their policy about supporting the "old" ATI
>>> chipset in OS X. The installed base of that chip in powerbooks alone
>>> (I'm one of them) is huge. And they just dropped it. So any video in
>>> OS X sucks ass on that chip.
>>>
>>> But hey, isn't this really NEW mac "incredibly cool?"
>
>> Check <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=122010>. Here is an
>> excerpt:
>
>> "Application Improvements:
>> - Increased stability of Mail and Sherlock.
>> - Emails are properly retained when rebuilding the Draft mailbox.
>> - Support for 2D and QuickTime hardware acceleration for Rage Pro.
>> [...]"
>
>> So, apparently, Apple hasn't given up yet on the old chipset...
>
> That's just the Rage Pro - LT not included (wall street, lombard). Go
> here to see what they say:
>
> http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/kbase.woa/wa/query?type=id&val=
> 106154
>
> WHat's interseting is that the verbiage which now reads further dev
> will be "investigated" used to read as follows:
>
> "Use the latest version of Mac OS X for best overall performance and
> feature set. Further Mac OS X support for the graphic accelerator
> chipsets listed above is not planned."
>
> These include the ATI RAGE II+, ATI RAGE IIc, ATI RAGE Pro, ATI RAGE
> Pro Turbo, ATI RAGE LT Pro and ATI RAGE Mobility. You can actually
> read the information about this here:
>
> http://www.insanely-great.com/news/01/1303.html

Brad,

Those are old documents that predate 10.1.5. From the latest technical note
I mentioned, I take it that Rage Pro includes all "Pro" ATI chipset, but not
the II+ or the IIc.

My only question: have you tried to play a QuickTime movie full screen on
10.1.5?

-Laurent.

flat adj.: 1. [common] Lacking any complex internal structure. "That bitty
box has only a flat filesystem, not a hierarchical one." The verb form is
flatten. 2. Said of a memory architecture (like that of the VAX or 680x0)
that is one big linear address space (typically with each possible value of
a processor register corresponding to a unique core address), as opposed to
a `segmented' architecture (like that of the 80x86) in which addresses are
composed from a base-register/offset pair (segmented designs are generally
considered cretinous).