Re: [NTLK] eMate upgrade

From: Stephanie Maks (newton_at_maksystems.com)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 18:27:29 EDT

Hello Russ,

You can find a picture an emate's insides with the upgrade installed here:
http://www.felesmagus.com/newton/ematebatt.jpg

It is the rectangular green card in the lower left hand corner, with three black ICs on it. Two are DRAM and one is Flash.

There used to be a site online with installation instructions, but last time I tried to visit it, it was gone.

In a nutshell, installation is like this:
1 Do a back-up. All your internal data will be LOST during the upgrade.
2 Remove DC power adaptor, and any PCMCIA card that might be installed.
3 Using a Torx T-8 driver, remove the two silver-coloured screws that secure the battery compartment.
4 Remove the battery compartment door
5 Remove the battery - it's the black plastic oblong thing, connected to by four wires (two white, one black, one red) in a white connector. (NOT like the batteries in that picture referenced above).
6 Install the memory upgrade card. It is keyed to only fit one way (like in the image noted above). Install it at an angle then snap downwards.
7 Install battery
8 Replace battery cover.

The eMate should power up, it may take 10 or 20 seconds longer than normal as it initializes the memory. If you get a blank screen, or a blank screen and flashing backlight, repeat the procedure and reseat the memory board again. If it still doesn't work, remove the memory board.

-Stephanie

Hi all

When I bought my eMate off ebay UK, the seller also sent me what he
thought was some extra memory, but I think could well be the eMate
upgrade. Is there a site that a) shows you what the upgrade looks
like and b) gives easy, step by step instructions for fitting it?
I'm not particularly techie and a bit nervous of opening up the
eMate, which I used daily and is highly prized in my work as a
journalist.
Anyone in the UK done this?