Re: [NTLK] [OT] Help with my site

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.net)
Date: Fri Jun 14 2002 - 00:59:04 EDT

on 13/06/02 21:50, Eric L. Strobel at fyzycyst_at_comcast.net wrote:

> somewhere near the temporal coordinates of 6/13/02 9:19 PM, the entity known
> as Victor Rehorst transmitted the following from victor_at_newtontalk.net:

>>> Apache would show you a recogniseable default page (it can be found
>>> at /Library/WebServer/Documents/index.html). It looks more like the
>>> machine is not serving or does not have network settings configured
>>> properly - pretty common. Can you describe in complete detail your
>>> setup as I am running OS X on an old G3 as router/server/firewall at
>>> 62.49.99.226 so I may be able to help.
>>
>> This just occured to me.
>>
>> Or cox is not allowing incoming connections on port 80 due to the Code Red
>> virus? (Yes, there are still unpatched machines out there!)
>
> I'd forgotten about that (although that somewhat regular flickering on my
> cable modem's activity light indicates that Code Red is still somewhat
> active). This is probably true, but... why was the connection possible
> before going to Dyndns??

I never checked it before, I think, since I didn't think about having a web
server that I could reference by its IP address. So, I also have the regular
kind of blinking on my cable modem. Is this related to the Code Red virus?
How?

When I'm home, I don't have any problem accessing my web server through
DynDNS service, so I know that the server is properly configured. And with
Personal Web Sharing under OS 9, it's hard to have a bad configuration.
Anyway, I'm more thinking that Cox somehow filter out those HTTP request
somehow, but I'm not an HTML expert, so I could be wrong...

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                            <http://members.cox.net/nemesys>
Logiciels Nemesys Software                            mailto:nemesys_at_cox.net

brute force adj.: Describes a primitive programming style, one in which the programmer relies on the computer's processing power instead of using his or her own intelligence to simplify the problem, often ignoring problems of scale and applying naive methods suited to small problems directly to large ones. The term can also be used in reference to programming style: brute-force programs are written in a heavyhanded, tedious way, full of repetition and devoid of any elegance or useful abstraction (see also brute force and ignorance).