Re: [NTLK] [OT] Football and nationalism

From: Joost van de Griek (joost_at_jvdg.net)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 16:51:39 EDT

On 2002-06-15 09:37, "Jon Glass" <jonglass_at_mac.com> wrote:

> on 6/14/02 10:54 PM, Robert Benschop at rbenschop_at_mac.com wrote:
>
>>> I think that there is nothing wrong with 'ultra-nationalism' whatever it is.
>>> Does it mean you love your country so much that you don't like other
>>> countries? If so, so what.
>>
>> I really don't want to join all the off topic stuff that was lately on this
>> list, but to this I just can't be silent.
>
> You have to understand that there is a different understanding of the term
> "nationalism" in the US vs. in Europe.

Be that as it may, Jon, I still find what the original post disturbing. It
states that it is okay to dislike others because you like your own country
so much. There is something fundamentally wrong with that.

You go on to say that it is different for Americans than for others, because
your country is a melting-pot and thus your nationalism is not based on
ethnicity. However, that still holds in it that you can dislike others based
on their origin, whatever their ethnicity. That, too, is a dangerous
viewpoint.

And a dumb one at that that.

I have a problem with nationalism, and patriotism, too. Proud to be
American/Canadian/Dutch/German/English/Whatever? How can you be proud of
something for which you never did anything to achieve it? You didn't work
very hard to be born, you know...

,xtG
.tsooJ

--