Re: [NTLK] [OT] Football and nationalism

From: richard_at_cyberphotographer.com
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 07:02:23 EDT

> >Proud to be American/Canadian/Dutch/German/English/Whatever? How
>can you be proud of something for which you never did anything to
>achieve it? You didn't work very hard to be born, you know...

So we should put our ancestry out of mind and ignore the sacrifices
and achievements of our forebears? Let's stop the teaching of history
in schools. We inherit nothing through genes or culture. With each
generation the slate is wiped clean. Be silent, consume, die.

Don't you think that's a bit bleak and Orwellian? Have you read 1984?
Your ancestry, and where you come from is a part of you whether you
like it or not. My ancestors gave their lives for my freedom. If I
have to fight to protect my grandchildren from oppression then I
will, and I should hope that they would remember my sacrifice. I am
proud to be British and if I were Dutch or American or German I would
be proud of that too. Those who forget history are condemned forever
to repeat it.