Re: [NTLK] [OT - surprise, surprise]Aurora.

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Jun 19 2002 - 01:09:07 EDT

on 6/18/02 9:32 PM, Eric L. Strobel at fyzycyst_at_comcast.net wrote:

> I think the areas where supersonic flight is allowed are defined by some
> maximum allowable overpressure on the ground. (I guess to keep from
> frightening small children and livestock... :-) )

...and busting windows...

> Pensacola, huh? Have you heard a shuttle's boom? If so, how do the two
> compare?
Cape Canaveral is about an 8 hour's drive from P'cola. But I did watch the
shuttle once--from about 20 miles away. It was powerful. The ground shook in
Melbourne, where we were watching it. And the fire from the engines was so
bright that it was difficult to look at directly. I was amazed that we could
be that far away, and still experience it so viscerally. If there was a
sonic boom, I'm sure it was overpowered by the engines. :-)

> Hey, maybe he was ordered to go intercept a UFO or something... :-)

Or trying to get back in time for tea? ;-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland