Re: [NTLK] Hello all!

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.net)
Date: Sat Jun 22 2002 - 23:15:51 EDT

on 22/06/02 22:27, Christopher Frazier at cfrazier_at_webplantation.com wrote:

> 1) Which extensions are hogs and should be avoided

Very hard to tell since it's so subjective. One of the biggest hog I've seen
so far has been the LunaSuite suite of packages. Buggy and taking a lot of
space and memory.

> 2) I noticed the size of NIE2.0 and it's components - pretty big. I'd
> like to not have them in effect when I don't need them, but want to
> leave them Internal. Does putting them into a "folder" other than
> Extensions pull them from memory or does it (as I suspect) simply change
> a tag in the soap?

Moving it will indeed just change a slot in the soup, plus it might not work
anymore. You can delete or put the Internet Setup package plus the templates
package on an external card.

> 3) Which add-ons for Works are really worth it. This would obviously be
> based on YOUR experience.

QFWorks, for the spreadsheet and NewtWorksDraw for the drawing part. If
you're heavily into scientific math, you could also install
WorksCalculation.

> 4) Do the ATA drivers hurt performance?

I would say yes since it's not completed yet.

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                            <http://members.cox.net/nemesys>
Logiciels Nemesys Software                            mailto:nemesys_at_cox.net

GIGO /gi:'goh/ [acronym]: 1. `Garbage In, Garbage Out' -- usually said in response to lusers who complain that a program didn't "do the right thing" when given imperfect input or otherwise mistreated in some way. Also commonly used to describe failures in human decision making due to faulty, incomplete, or imprecise data. 2. `Garbage In, Gospel Out': this more recent expansion is a sardonic comment on the tendency human beings have to put excessive trust in `computerized' data.