Re: [NTLK] Adjustable backlight?

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Jun 29 2002 - 16:59:06 EDT

Am 27.6.2002 19:33 Uhr schrieb "Dan" unter <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>:
> Hmm not necessarily, you could just have a little adjustment pod (like a
> pentameter), then adjust it once like you want and leave it at that. A pain
> to adjust but if you were out to just make a non standard backlight more
> like the newton in brightness or to reduce battery consumption then this
> would be fine. A set it and forget it approach, unless say a few years
> later it started to fade and you want to "up it a notch or two" to
> compensate.
To drive this idea further: Maybe Apple has already left a surplus range to
higher brightness in terms of power rating of the components used. We might
be able to simply replace a resistor or add another one in parallel to
improve the brightness after it started to fade.

As I connected 12V to one of my Newtons its BL became suddenly much
brighter. This means to me that the drive is a non-regulated one and simply
drives a pre-settled current into the BL foil capacitance. The power
transistor is certainly under dimensioned :-) Thus the remaining question is
where it is located.

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand