Re: [NTLK] Harry Potter books

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 18:07:55 EST

Actually...
Each publisher is different.
I have been in discussions with Tolkien Enterprises
(http://www.tolkien-ent.com/new/index.html)as to
publishing the e-text version of LOTR for The Newton
Only.
After exchanging letters with Tolkien Enterprise's
Director of Licensing, I was informed that while they
hold the rights for paper distribution of the story,
they do not hold the rights for e-text distribution
and I would need to confer with the publisher in
England for that. She gave me an address and stated
that I shouldn't have a problem what with the limited
distribution of ONLY NEWTON and the fact that the
publisher would most likely not produce a Newton
e-text version of the booke. I have written to the
publisher for permission and they have yet to contact
me back. This was over 2 months ago...Their e-text
rights must not be that important or they would either
answer with a cease and desist if they didn't want me
to distribute it. Otherwise, it seems that it isn't a
priority. (btw, my logs show that there have been over
800 logins for downloads and over 1,400 downloads for
the LOTR books...what a bunch of ravenous readers you
people are!)
So, having said this, I do convert quite a number of
my own books into Newton book format (cut off the
binding and feed them into a scanner ADF and OCR them,
so needless to say, I won't be doing this to all my
books) And as long as they are intended for my own
personal use (if you guys happen to find some of them,
so-be-it), I don't see a problem. BUT, that may depend
on the publisher and how agressive they protect their
copyright!
But, be prepared for some fancy footwork in explaining
your position incase you get contacted!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://65.84.243.167 (my NPDS server)

--- Samuel Jacobson <jacobson98_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have a question regarding the Harry Potter books
> and Newton and, while
> I seem to recall this issue being covered with the
> Lord of the Ringd
> tilliogy in October, I wanted to check.
>
> I have not read any of the Harry Potter books, yet
> a lot of the children
> that I teach do. And, further, I have heard that a
> lot of adults like the
> books as they are aparently entertaining on several
> levels, thus to a wide
> audience. I have thought about buying a copy, but
> have not as I do not want
> another book to carry around. However having the
> book on my Newton would
> make it very possible to read. As such I was
> wondering if it leagal to
> download a copy of a Harry Potter book (such as the
> first one, the
> Sorcerer's Stone) if I also purchase a paper copy?
>
> I do not want to do anything illegal, thus I want
> to make sure.
>
> Thank you all,
>
> Sam

=====