Re: [NTLK] MP 120 1.3 questions

From: Steven Frank (stevenf_at_panic.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 14:33:40 EST

On Tuesday, March 5, 2002, at 05:21 AM, Prabhakar Ragde wrote:

> 5. I have an aging beige G3 with a serial port, but everything else
> Mac in our home or offices is newer. Will a USB-to-serial adaptor
> work with NCK? Does it run under Classic? What other solutions are
> there for transfer to/from newer machines?

You can install packages on your Newton over a USB-to-serial adapter
natively in Mac OS X using the command-line UnixNPI, or my GUI version
called NewTen:

http://www.panic.com/~stevenf/index.php?node=NewTen

Both are freeware. But neither support backup / restore, or the other
NCK features at this time.

My experience has been that NCU mostly seems to work under Classic. But
some of the other apps, such as Newton Press, do not.

Steven