Re: [NTLK] Cable for Farallon Ethernet card (2nd attempt)

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 08:42:45 EST

> In fact the cable is not broken at the RJ45, but instead at the plug which
> goes into the card. (If the RJ45 had failed I would have just shortened
the
> cable and put a new one on.)
Welcome to the club! The exactly same happend to me. I found that one of the
four wires was broken and has thus caused a one way connection. I've then
removed the connector case the stripped the whole thing down and resoldered
everything, including the LED directly to the connector pads. This works
fine but it needs encapsulation which I haven't done jet. On the repair I
lost the feature of the plug to click in but this was the cause of the
problem: The Newton felt down and the cable pulled the PN895 out of the slot
and one wire was broken on that incident. W/o click-in it had simply pulled
out the plug of the card...

E-mail me privately if you need more informations, like e.g. 2 pictures of
the plug showing the colours of the wires and positions or where to get the
damn thing repaired.

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand