Re: [NTLK] Ethernet Card troubles FIXED!

From: eric a . Farris (eafarris_at_bigfoot.com)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 09:38:44 EST

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 09:26:48AM -0500, Victor Rehorst wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, eric a . Farris wrote:
>
> > ok, i did a hard reset and installed only the following packages, in
> > this order:
> > inetenbl.pkg
> > inetstup.pkg
> > enetsup.pkg
> > modmsup.pkg
> > newtdev.pkg
> > FarallonEthernet.pkg
> > 3c589.pkg
> >
> > afterwards, i went in to Internet Setup and it tells me:
> > "You cannot use Internet Setup because there are no module packages
> > installed."

SUCCESS!

The problem seemed to be a combination of newtontalk and Sloup (Linux is
my primary OS, and i have been using newtontalk and sloup to do all my
transfers.) For some reason, they weren't installing the NIE Ethernet
Module, though the transfer would complete without errors. I scarfed NCU
and tried to install enetsup and newtdev from it, and BEHOLD! "NIE
Ethernet Module" appears in Extensions and the ethernet card works.

/me does his dance of happiness...

thanks, Thanks, THANKS to everyone on the list who's had some insight
into this mess. The problem was way back at the beginning, a case of
badly (or not at all) installed packages. Extra thanks to Victor, for
turning me on to the specific problem. You guys are great!

ahh, Newtonian Ethernet... i need a moment :)

--
eric a. Farris  eafarris_at_bigfoot.com  www.bigfoot.com/~eafarris
Systems Administrator

MCSE: Minesweeper Consultant and Solitare Expert

Whoever said the truth shall set you free was obviously and grossly unaware of federal law.