Re: [NTLK] [OT] Thanks (re: G4 and Virtual PC)

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 15:44:04 EST

On 06/03/02 11:35, "Rui Curveira" <rui_at_interlog.com> wrote:

> There is also an OpenSource PC Emulator for OSX if anyone is interested. I
> haven't tried it, I just found it the other day.
> http://www.osxgnu.org/software/Xwin/Applications/Bochs/
> Enjoy
> Rui

Yep, I tried it yesterday. All I got what when I was launching the main
application, it would seem to start but would just die a few seconds later,
apparently without any useful error message. I looked at the documentation,
but felt very helpless. It seemed like a quick port, without much time to
explain to the user what is expected from him for the installation (there is
no such thing as an installer, you unarchive the files and they are put in a
directory).

-Laurent.

C++ /C'-pluhs-pluhs/ n.: Designed by Bjarne Stroustrup of AT&T Bell Labs as
a successor to C. Now one of the languages of choice, although many hackers
still grumble that it is the successor to either Algol 68 or Ada (depending
on generation), and a prime example of second-system effect. Almost anything
that can be done in any language can be done in C++, but it requires a
language lawyer to know what is and what is not legal-- the design is almost
too large to hold in even hackers' heads. Much of the cruft results from
C++'s attempt to be backward compatible with C. Stroustrup himself has said
in his retrospective book "The Design and Evolution of C++" (p. 207),
"Within C++, there is a much smaller and cleaner language struggling to get
out." [Many hackers would now add "Yes, and it's called Java" --ESR]