Re: [NTLK] Motorola TimePort P280

From: Eric Schneck (eschneck_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 22:16:00 EST

To connect a P280 to the Newton:

1. Connect the Newt and P280 using each computer's cable plus a gender
changer and null modem.

2. Set up a Serial (not modem) connection in NIE.
Leave the user name and password blank (NIE will complain. Its OK).
Fill in your DNS. Enter a null connect script.

3. Use PT100 to dial your ISP (I use Mindspring).
All you need to enter is ATDTyourphonenumberhere
Once you get the login prompt, enter your userid and password,
then exit PT100. (PT100 will complain that you are connected. Its OK)

3. Open SimpleMail or whatever, and hit connect.

Away you go.

Connection is analog (9600) and makes me really miss my Ricochet.

AFAIK, this is the only Newt-compatible VoiceStream phone.
Incidentally, the IR on this phone works fine with my Mac.
Mac drivers are at: http://homepage.mac.com/robm/Motorola_P280.sit

Eric