Re: [NTLK] Another (dumb) question (paperback)

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 03:55:36 EST

on 3/9/02 1:02 AM, Steve Weyer at weyer_at_kagi.com wrote:

> if you don't have the original source document for the Newton book, you
> could export it as text or HTML (using Newt's Cape), or open .pkg in a
> desktop text editor and just keep the content. then run source thru one of
> the Palm DOC creator tools.

That can be messy, due to the Newton's Unicode formatting. All characters
are 2 bit characters, which means that there is (on the Macintosh, at least)
a square, undisplay-able character between each and every character. You
will need to do a search and replace to get rid of them. It's not that big
of a deal (I've done it) but it does take extra time... There will also be
binary code that you will have to strip, and some of it will be interspersed
throughout the file, forcing you to scroll the whole file. Again, no big
deal, but it's not the simple item you would like it to be. :-) (Maybe Nisus
Writer could help automate most if not all these tasks, but that's another
list and another thread...)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams