Re: [NTLK] RTF driving me crazy

From: John Goggan (jgoggan_at_dcg.com)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 19:24:33 EST

"Michael J. Hußmann" wrote:
> Microsoft invented RTF, so it should hardly be surprising that MS Word
> knows how to deal with it.

Actually, they didn't even get that right apparently. The RTF output that I
get from MS Word 2000 is significantly different in some aspects than the same
output from MS WordPad (included with Win2000). That has always bothered me.
It also creates problems with BookMaker, I've recently discovered. If I want
my RTF files to work as proper input in BookMaker and I touch them at any time
with Word, then I have to open them up in WordPad when I am done and resave
them before feeding them to BookMaker. Otherwise, I get erratic results.

We've noticed this as developers too... We have a few clients that need RTF
output from out reports. We commonly use a 3rd party reporting package
(Crystal Reports) to generate this output. The output from there is very
similar to the WordPad output. Neither matches up with Word's RTF output.

So, put simply, Word does odd things with RTF output. WordPad seems more
stable/normal.

 - John...