Re: [NTLK] I can't get netatalk talking

From: speedy2 (speedy2_at_dag.net)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 14:09:27 EST

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Karel Jansens wrote:

> Karel Jansens wrote:
> >

> > So, as a last resort (for now, that is), I'm going to whipe NIE and all
> > its siblings off my Newt and reinstall the lot, and properly this time.
> > I'll let y'all know what transpires...
> >

> Well, that didn't help.
> Even switching cards from top to bottom slot still gives the same
> result, or rather, lack thereof.

If I understand correctly, you can't get Ethernet/NIE working? I was in a
similar situation; to solve it I did a deep reset and re-installed NIE. I
found Apple's directions a little confusing and I kept installing packages
in the wrong order.

To make the installation easier, I re-named all my NIE/Ethernet packages
so the first number indicates the order in which to install. Please
install with your Ethernet card *removed* from Newton.

The packages, in order, are:

1_inetenbl.pkg
2_inetstup.pkg
3_newtdev.pkg
4_enetsup.pkg
5_farallon.pkg
6_3comaddon.pkg
7_3c589.pkg

After these dudes are on, slip your NIC in and things should be fine.
For the 3COM cards, when you insert it, the Newton won't do anything. If
you're not using a Farallon or 3COM card, you may need to get another
driver. I suspect you could tag the driver "8_<insert_name_here>.pkg" and
install it after the others...

As I have mentioned before, I use Tactile's FTP client to check if TCP/IP
& NIE are setup properly. When it doesn't work, I know something is
seriously wrong...

Good luck!
Speedy2.