Re: [NTLK] I can't get netatalk talking

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 14:22:06 EST

speedy2 wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Karel Jansens wrote:
>

> > Karel Jansens wrote:
> > >

> > > So, as a last resort (for now, that is), I'm going to whipe NIE and all
> > > its siblings off my Newt and reinstall the lot, and properly this time.
> > > I'll let y'all know what transpires...
> > >

> > Well, that didn't help.
> > Even switching cards from top to bottom slot still gives the same
> > result, or rather, lack thereof.
>
> If I understand correctly, you can't get Ethernet/NIE working? I was in a
> similar situation; to solve it I did a deep reset and re-installed NIE. I
> found Apple's directions a little confusing and I kept installing packages
> in the wrong order.
>
> To make the installation easier, I re-named all my NIE/Ethernet packages
> so the first number indicates the order in which to install. Please
> install with your Ethernet card *removed* from Newton.
>
> The packages, in order, are:
>
> 1_inetenbl.pkg
> 2_inetstup.pkg
> 3_newtdev.pkg
> 4_enetsup.pkg
> 5_farallon.pkg
> 6_3comaddon.pkg
> 7_3c589.pkg
>
> After these dudes are on, slip your NIC in and things should be fine.
> For the 3COM cards, when you insert it, the Newton won't do anything. If
> you're not using a Farallon or 3COM card, you may need to get another
> driver. I suspect you could tag the driver "8_<insert_name_here>.pkg" and
> install it after the others...
>
> As I have mentioned before, I use Tactile's FTP client to check if TCP/IP
> & NIE are setup properly. When it doesn't work, I know something is
> seriously wrong...

The card recognizes fine (it's a 3c589c, so I had no need for the
3c589.pkg). I reinstalled Newton internet just the way you described it
here.

My problem is that I want to use linux netatalk to print to my LaserJet
4. The procedure is explained in the howto:

http://misf67.cern.ch/~reinhold/Newton/Newton_and_Linux-mini-HOWTO.html

But whenever I select a network laserwriter on the Newton, I just get
the slip saying that it's searching, and nothing more.

I've tried virtually everything, short of using a sledge-hammer (and I'm
getting pretty close to that stage now). I know there is some sort of
network traffic going, because the lights flash and all, and I can ping
myself on the linux box.

Maybe I should install a terminal app on the Newt and see if I can get
something from that...

--
Karel Jansens
kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be

"We're here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and we're all out of gum." (Dr. Zulu of Team Diotoir on Robot Wars Extreme)