Re: [NTLK] 3AM Stroll solution.. Almost..

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 13:50:36 EST

on 16/03/02 02:01, Jim Witte at jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us wrote:

> Okay. I've just finished hacking up 3AMOff. The project and source
> is at
>
> http://www.bloomington.in.us/~jswitte/ThreeAMOff/index.html
>
> The main idea is to have an idle script repeatedly check the time to
> see if it's between 5 and 10 minutes after 3:15 (a reasonable bit of
> time for the 3AM house-keeping duties to get done). If it is,
> checkPower is called, which checks if it's running on ac, and will shut
> it off if it is. This is in the viewIdleScript (at bottom).
>
> The "Setup Idle Script" button in the main view sets up the idle
> script, which runs one time. But it doesn't run after that. I also
> need to know how to put the Newt to sleep (I thought there was a
> gotosleep function..)
>
> This may very well be a solution looking for a problem, as some people
> have reported that they don't have a problem with it staying on
> connected to AC. My Newt doesn't seem to come on *at all* at 3AM - I've
> been testing it by resetting the clock to 2:55, putting it to sleep, and
> waiting. Does the Newt only wake up for house-keeping duties if it
> needs to?

Don't know about that, but I couldn't tell whether your script is always
idling but if it is, it would be better off being put to sleep and set a
timer to be awaken around 3:00 am and then start idling, everytime checking
if it's 5 or 10 after 3, and if so, do its thing.

-Laurent.

casting the runes n.: What a guru does when you ask him or her to run a particular program and type at it because it never works for anyone else; esp. used when nobody can ever see what the guru is doing different from what J. Random Luser does. Compare incantation, runes, examining the entrails; also see the AI koan about Tom Knight in "Some AI Koans" (Appendix A).