Re: [NTLK] Hayes Optima 33.6 modem card

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 14:53:15 EST

on 3/16/02 1:45 PM, David Golden at ikondave_at_charter.net wrote:

> Yup, I have the correct slot. I even tried downloading the Hayes Compatible
> Package from UNNA. No luck. I'm beginning to think it's the card itself
> that's the problem :-(.

    That's a possibility.
    A couple of questions:
    1) Does it even get to the dialing stage or do you get an error before
that? If you get the error before the dial, it means the Newt didn't get an
'OK' response when it sent the setup string.
    2) Do you have something else you could test the modem in with a term
program? You could then determine if it's really dead.

    The main problem I've had with X-jack modems is the cable to the jack
breaking, but that gives you a 'no dialtone' error usually.

Peter