Re: [NTLK] pdf for Newton?

From: eric a . Farris (eafarris_at_bigfoot.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 09:31:28 EST

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 09:11:34AM -0500, Eric L. Strobel wrote:

> Actually, there might be a third alternative. What if there were an
> "engine" on a website somewhere that you fed the URL of a PDF file, and it
> either converts it to NewtonBook or HTML? (I'm thinking that if it's done
> right, Palm users would access it too, but you could try and charge them in
> order to fund it and leave it free for Newt users. :-) )

this might be an option. all the tools are there. there are a bunch of
free tools to work with PDF files for *Nix. it should be possible (for
some smart guy/gal somewhere) to run a file in PDF through filters to
extract the text and images, and then:

   * convert it to HTML suitable for Newt's Cape
or * convert it to LaTeX suitable for ViewMP
or * script the ol' Newton Press

i predict, though, that the PDF would have to be a pretty simple one for
this to work.

it'll be several days (daze?) before i can play with this... right now
i'm just an idea man. :)

--
eric a. Farris  eafarris_at_bigfoot.com  www.bigfoot.com/~eafarris
Systems Administrator

Celebrate National Afghanistan Day on Thursday, 21 March! In 1983, President Reagan declared 21 March 1983 as Afghanistan Day in honor of "an extraordinary people who, in their determination to preserve the character of their ancient land, have organized an effective and still spreading country-wide resistance."

http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/resource/speeches/1983/32183d.htm