Re: [NTLK] Word 98 doc files on a Newton

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 15:29:00 EST

On 20/03/02 14:57, "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst_at_comcast.net> wrote:

> at the temporal coordinates: 3/20/02 2:46 PM, the entity known as Rolf
> Brakvatne at rbrak29_at_qwest.net conveyed the following:
>

>> What is the best way to import and display Word 98 doc files on a Newton? Do
>> you import into Newton Press after saving the doc files in RTF and making a
>> package, then transfer to the Newton? Newton Press does not seem to import
>> Word files directly.
>>

> Based on the discussion of a very similar topic lately, I'd say you *may*
> need to save to Word 5 format FIRST, and THEN convert that file to RTF.
> Essentially, for Newton Press, you *may* have to 'dummy down' the RTF that
> would get generated. Other than that, it sounds like you've got a good
> handle on things. (I'm sure the true experts will chime in any second
> now...)

If Rolf uses an NOS 2.1-based Newton, there is no need to generate a Newton
book to see the files, as RTF files can be exported with NCU to the Newton
as NewtonWorks files. NewtonWorks requires an NOS 2.1-based Newton,
though...

-Laurent.

coaster n.: 1. Unuseable CD produced during failed attempt at writing to
writeable or re-writeable CD media. Certainly related to the coaster-like
shape of a CD, and the relative value of these failures. "I made a lot of
coasters before I got a good CD." 2. Useless CDs received in the mail from
the likes of AOL, MSN, CI$, Prodigy, ad nauseam.