Re: [NTLK] MP2x00 Display Upgrade - latest update

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 17:05:37 EST

Well, from the research I've looked at (specifically
the work done at Poloroid and their LIFT technology
and Motorola) the holographic light intensifyer is not
a film that is applied to the LCD. Instead, it is a
thin film that is inserted between the display and the
backlight. The film its self is transparent and is
only visible when tilted at an angle. This is similar
to those holographic images you can purchase for your
cell phone that shows some kind of 3-d picture on your
Cell Phone display;
http://www.cellularaccessory.com/3dholograms.html

Unfortunatly, I haven't been able to find any
distributor that sells them to an end user...
This is definatly something I would like to look into
and even implement on my Newt...if I can find someone
that sells it!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Calvin Grier <cgrier_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Ed,
>
> I looked at the "holographic reflector" PDF link and
> I'm very curious.
>
> Can direct me to someone that offers a commercial
> product (a flim or coating
> service) that would be able to supply product that I
> could include in a kit?
> There are numerous companies doing coatings for
> LCDs, maybe someone can do
> batches of our Newton LCDs.
>
> There's a basic problem with coatings in-general:
> you need special
> facilities in order to apply polarizers, coatings,
> and certain kinds of
> reflectors. Most companies that do this kind of work
> will operate on batches
> of product. But Newton users don't want to part with
> their units for very
> long - so anyone offering this service would have to
> have a stock of LCDs
> that they'd rotate in and out. All upgrades would
> need to be scheduled so
> that no Newtons arrived for upgrade when there were
> no coated LCDs on-hand.
>
> -- Calvin

=====
- The Powerpuff Girls -