[NTLK] Bluetooth on Newton

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 01:46:04 EST

   The impression I've gotten from a few usenet posts I've read is that
the bluetooth manufactuers by and large don't seem particularly
interested in people who want to buy less than 100k of these things..
Finding a supplier who would do so would be the first challenge. Three
ways I can think of electrically interfacing it is either to hook it
onto the PCBMan's dongle killer (slow, though I don't know how high the
baud rate on serial will go), hook it to the second serial port lines
that aren't connected to the line driver (although I was never sure if
that could be accessed ANY way from software - NS or C++), make an
electrical interface to go from Ethernet to bluetooth and hook it an
eNet card (eats a slot, and questions about bandwidth too), hook it up
to the irDA leads (questions about usability and bandwidth), or make an
interface that would plug into the PCMCIA slot, maybe making it look to
the Newt like an SRAM card (with a few other memory toggle locations to
activate transmit, signal strength control, etc) to be controlled with a
p-class.

Jim