[NTLK] WorldNavigator CFI GPS Receiver (was Re: GPSmap maps)

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 12:47:11 EST

* Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net> on Tue, 19 Mar 2002
| Most GPS components speak NEMA 183 at 4800bps. I should have a TeleType
| CFI GPS receiver in a few days. I'll post whatever compatability
| information I can when it arrives.

Okay, the model is the TeleType WorldNavigator CF Type I GPS receiver.
<URL:http://www.teletype.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GPS&Product_Code=1351&Category_Code=GPS+Receivers+Only>
It lists for $350 for the receiver, external booster antenna, and Windows
software; or $200 for the receiver alone (the external antenna lists for
$60). This is a CF Type I card, so it requires a CF to PC-Card adapter.
It is the only CF or PC-Card GPS receiver that does not require an external
antenna (though the antenna is recomended for use in urban areas).

My MP2100 recognizes it as a "Communications Card" -- in other words it
looks like a modem. No extra drivers required. GPS Map Lite sees the
device and appears to work correctly. I do not have any maps of the Boston
area for my Newt, so I cannot be sure about how well it works, yet. But it
does work.

So, there you go.

--
Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net>    \ Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \