Re: [NTLK] The "Right" Newton

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 21:25:06 EST

somewhere near the temporal coordinates of 3/22/02 5:36 PM, the entity known
as James Elliott transmitted the following from rootbeeraddict_at_yahoo.com:

> What about the speed of the HWR? On my 120(2.0), there is a delay
> before recognition, while I saw a video of a 2100 converting as soon
> as the word was finished. If you are doing a lot of writing, I would
> think that this would be an issue. What do those of you with 2100s
> get for battery life?
>
> -James
>
>> With the uses you describe, a 130 would do well. Slightly smaller than
>> the 2x00 has backlight for middle of the night brainstorming. About the
>> only hardware accessories you would need would be a set of cables for
>> connection to Mac/PC, a small, 4MB flashcard, and maybe some kind of
>> multi-pen for switching media. I would suggest the best software
>> enhancement would be MoreInfo which allows linking between Names, Dates,
>> ToDos and Notes. Helps to keep track of what you promised/sent to who.

On my 130 this is barely noticeable. You may have to tweak the settings a
bit. Also, you have to let it "average" out -- the HWR seems to digest
things a 'chunk' at a time (one or several words), so sometimes it will seem
far behind but when you pause momentarily, it catches up. It's all a matter
of expectations, too. I don't expect instantaneous HWR, so a few seconds
lag is totally acceptable since I'm not likely to be writing continuously
for very long. If I'm going to be taking notes that are more than just
bullets or short sentences, then I'll hook up the keyboard. Would *you* try
to handwrite the great American novel on 3x5 cards?

This issue isn't a discriminator, though, since it's not going to be any
different on the 2x00, as the screen isn't *that* much bigger.

So I guess the bottom line is that, if you're going to do a LOT of writing,
I can't imagine you'll be handwriting it anyway.

- Eric.