Re: [NTLK] Replace speaker?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 13:53:23 EST

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Jeremy Bond Shepherd wrote:

> However, while I was in there I realized how easy it is to detatch the
> built-in speaker. A thought occurred to me: would it be possible to replace
> this speaker with a better sounding one that will still fit in the alloted
> space? Has anybody ever attempted such a feat? Does such a thing even exist
> as a teeny-tiny speaker with better sound than the one Apple put in there?
> Any electrical compatibility issues one would need to work out? The idea is
> tempting... am I just dreaming?

If the impedence was the same and it was rated for the same or similar
wattage as the Newton's amp, then there's no reason you couldn't.

An even cooler idea might be to replace the speaker with a slightly smaler
unit, cut a little bit out of the case and install a headphone jack that
would cut out the speaker once plugged in... meaning you could use
headphones without using the dongle..