Re: [NTLK] Pretec 32 mb card & 2100 screen

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sat Mar 30 2002 - 08:20:20 EST

>read that the sound quality of audio played back from CD's that had been
>"cleaned" with Armor-all is dramatically improved as compared to untreated
>CD's. On a visit to his home, he delighted in playing two copies of the
>same CD, one treated with Armor-all, the other one pristine, out-of-the-box
>condition. I didn't have the heart to tell him I could hear no difference
>between the two. His devoted wife affirmed his belief.
>
>Some while later, I learned indirectly through his daughter that all of his
>CD collection had been replaced with newly purchased copies. Seems the
>polycarbonate plastic substrate that is common in CD manufacture had become
>chemically unstable and cracked profusely. All of his CD's were a total loss.

I would never put armorall on anything plastic, I used it once on my dash
as a kid, dash cracked. A few years later, armoralls bottles all said "if
your dash cracks we'll replaced it" but I don't believe them :) Many years
later I'm still mad, the chemistry of their product was/is? just not
suitable for the uses they indicate IMO (my family is mostly chemists so I
looked stuff up afterwards).

I would love to see the letters column of that "sophisticated" audiophile
journal for that timeframe.

So this is the last thing I'd put on a Newt screen as well.

Brian

--
NOTE: NEW EMAIL ADDRESS SOON:  bmcewen_at_comcast.net
The reply-to: field for this email reflects this change.