Re: [NTLK] Re - Draining batteries

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 06:53:32 EDT

> >Certainly. But there are even better calculations for that purpose...
> >If all you want is drain your battery, I could send you the beta
> >version of BattLog. It was designed to do exactly that.
> Granted. But my Idler app wasn't designed to do that. It's just a nice
> side effect.
Okay, there are two applications which don't let the Newton go to sleep
until the accu is drained below whatever level. I would appreciate if we
could improve this a bit further and monitor the accu voltage as it goes
down. Also a long term history would be nice to have or a threshold template
set which would tell how an accu fits in or what capacity it has. If BattLog
or/and Idler where able to capture the current the program could easily
calculate the charge taken from the accu and also display it over time. Upon
comparison of the discharge log with the template it would be possible to
exactly rate the performance of the accu set and predict that an accu is
about to die. Only the use of such an accurate tool could confirm the effect
of reconditioning. Anything else is just guessing.

Frank and Jochen, couldn't you steal parts of Avi's BD source (accu monitor)
and integrate it into your programs? We don't need a very accurate or
detailed measurement. About 100 or 200 values per discharge are absolutely
enough and the most work is probably in writing an application to plot a
curve on the Newton screen and manage all the saved templates and records.

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG