Re: [NTLK] 2x00 battery woes - cleaning didn't help - suggestions wanted

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 19:49:11 EDT

OK, what is telling you that the battery is fully
charged? The Newt? If so, then I suspect that you have
a battery spring problem. There are several contacts
on the battery pack. two for powering the pack and two
for charging the pack (I don't know this for sure, but
it has been my experience) I suspect that the big
spring loaded contact deep inside the battery well is
not making an adequete electrical connection.
Unfortunatly, this cannot be solved without taking the
Newt apart...If you proceed, standard disclaimers
apply!
Here is what I did. I opened the Newt, bent the arm
slightly to make a better battery pack connection,
then filed the tip a bit to get beyond any corrosion.
then I used this liquid contact improver on the arm
and battery connection. I also got a piece of closed
foam sponge rubber (one of my wife's make-up sponges
works great) and cut a small piece and placed it
behind the arm to "help" the spring maintain a
satisfactory connection.
Hope this helps.
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Michael 'Mickey' Sattler <michael_at_GeekTimes.com>
wrote:

> My UMP2K doesn't run from the old, original battery
> pack. When I
> insert the pack the MP notices it, changes the state
> to Charging, and
> a few minutes later changes it again to Charged.
> Yanking the power
> cord plunges the machine into darkness.
>
> Using what I thought were freshly-recharged NiMH AAs
> didn't work either.
>
> I gently used 70 per cent alcohol on a long-handled
> cotton swab on
> the four contacts I could see, to no avail.
>
> I will try again with what I'm sure are
> freshly-charged NiMH AAs. Is
> there anything that the readership can suggest to
> me? It may be that
> there is something physically wrong with the
> charging portion of my
> MP, but it was fine when I shut it down years ago.
> I'm not too loathe
> to open it up, if necessary.
>
> What ought I do next, or consider doing next?
>
> Thanks,

> --
> Michael "Mickey" Sattler, Geek Times

=====