Re: [NTLK] Help: WaveLan to Network to AppleTalk

From: Jesse Garnier (jgarnier_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun May 05 2002 - 21:04:12 EDT

Bernie A. Goltermann wrote not long ago (5/5/02 2:41 PM):

> I finally got my setup to work. I'm able to connect to NCU using WLan
> through an Airport Base Station to my G4 Desktop. But, if I try to
> install anything it will seem to start the transfer and then eventually
> time out. When I switch back to using my Ethernet card I have no
> problems. SimpleMail seems to work well with our mail server running
> Netscape Mail. Net Hopper also is working well behind corporate firewall.

I have the same problem over AppleTalk using alpha3 under OS X. Small
transfers complete, but large transfers (over 75k, say) stall and fail after
timing out.

> I found out that there is an issue when trying to use Access Control.
> The Alpha 2 and 3 won't work with it. It seems to want to but when
> trying to do DNS resolution it fails if you have Access Control set up
> on Base Station.

You mean restricting Base Station access via MAC addresses? I can resolve
DNS just fine in my AirPort network at work (where we restrict access via
MAC addresses since alpha3 doesn't do passwords)...

--Jesse