Re: [NTLK] Jaggies not fixed :-(

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 19:41:59 EDT

Brad,

> I took my Newton completely apart at the weekend. I had the glass fibre
> cleaning brush any everything. Cleaned all the contacts to as new condition
> IMHO. Put it back together and the pen alignment is STILL out! Damn! 2hours
> down the tubes. Still, at least I managed to put it all back together
> without completely destroying it!

I'm wondering if there is a gradual breakdown in the adhesive that binds the
touch screen to the LCD itself or the other layers in the touch screen?
Could these edge contacts be the actual problem? Anything visible on a
screen which has this problem?

Can anyone comment on whether the resistive layers of the touchscreen can
degrade so that a poor signal is generated in the first place? I can imagine
monitoring the four signal wires from the touchscreen with a 'scope to see
if there are any sudden changes in level as a stylus passes over it.

Might degradation of the touch screen occur after years of stylus taps?

Joel.