Re: [NTLK] Soft reset that loses--everything?

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 00:32:15 EDT

on 08/05/02 00:03, Jeff Smith at jeff.smith_at_allenmicro.com wrote:

> Okay, so I'm using my 2100 tonight (checking email) and during an email
> receive it seemingly locks up (says "processing message") but no
> activity for about a minute and no response to the "stop" button with
> the exception of drawing on it (which I don't think is a good thing). I
> figure it's locked up and proceed to press the 'reset' button with my
> stylus. No problems here; been there done that before no big deal.
>
> Well this time it chimes and wants me to enter my owner information
> again! I start thinking the worst when I notice that my Extras are
> particularly short on icons and the sound is noticably louder than I'd
> previously set....DOH! The only stuff left is the built-in stuff!! No
> NIE, no NOS updates, no Apps, no data in Apps (like dates, notes) and no
> preference settings remembered. Bummer!
>
> So I checked the FAQ again to make sure I didn't do a brainwipe type of
> reset and nope--did it just like I should have (a mild press of the
> reset button). The big question: did I do something horribly wrong or
> does a soft reset just "do that" some times? Here are some clues that
> might help: I was using the modem (optima 33.6 card) at the time. The
> message was around 80k. The message contained a newton package file
> (.pkg) as an attachment. I had around 500k free internally with no
> additional cards inserted.

I've never heard about something like that. Something must have gone really
wrong to make you loose saved information.

-Laurent.

fandango on core n.: [Unix/C hackers, from the Iberian dance] In C, a wild pointer that runs out of bounds, causing a core dump, or corrupts the malloc(3) arena in such a way as to cause mysterious failures later on, is sometimes said to have `done a fandango on core'. On low-end personal machines without an MMU (or Windows boxes, which have an MMU but use it incompetently), this can corrupt the OS itself, causing massive lossage. Other frenetic dances such as the cha-cha or the watusi, may be substituted. See aliasing bug, precedence lossage, smash the stack, memory leak, memory smash, overrun screw, core.