Re: [NTLK] [OT] apple does server

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 21:33:06 EDT

* Chris Ruprecht <chrup_at_earthlink.net> on Thu, 16 May 2002
| The Apple Xserver has nothing which makes me want to get one. The drives
| are ATA, where I would only use UltraSCSI-160.

Bah. FCAL w/ 7200 RPM drives.

| RAID is advertised as 'software', I would only use hardware RAID.

I've used most of the big-name software RAID systems: Veritas & Sun's ODS,
IBM's LVM, SGI's LVM, HP's LVM, Linux Software RAID, DEC's LSM. They all
suck. Some suck less than others, and some suck less for some uses (like
stripingZ), but they all suck.

| It lets me connect to and from anywhere, well, so does my Linux box. The
| major advantage of the Motorola PPC processors, the AltiVec unit(s) is
| not supported by the OS or the applications,

AltiVec is nigh-useless for file servers, which barely touch the CPU anyway
since the disk and memory I/O are all DMA and handled by auxillary
controllers. And it is not all that useful for application servers. SMP
is the way to go there.

| the C compiler they use (GCC) doesn't optimize for AltiVec code.

Are you sure about that?

| MacOS X Server is not up to scratch as far as speed is concerned. [...]

Mac OS X Server has one absolutely fatal flaw, one missing feature that
will kill it for the high availability market: no journaling filesystem.

--
Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net>    \ Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core,
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ which, if exposed due to rupture, should